GETTING TO VIEQUES
It all depends on your budget and how much time you'd want to spend traveling to Vieques. We suggest flying but that is not always budget friendly for all travelers. At the least it's best to fly over and ferry back if you can. Always keep in mind your arrival and departure times in/out of SJU as this could very well determine your options to Vieques. Feel free to contact us for help/advice.
- There are two ways to get from main island of Puerto Rico to Vieques, by plane or by boat
- Fly from San Juan International Airport (SJU)
- Vieques Air Link and Cape Air fly from SJU
- Fly from Isle Grande Municipal Airport (SIG)
- Vieques Air Link fly from SIG
- Fly from Ceiba Municipal Airport (RVR)
- Vieques Air Link and Aero Taxi (charter service) fly from RVR
- Ferry System
- The ferry system runs from Ceiba to Vieques several times per day, check porferry.com for updated schedules.
- At this point in time, the ferry system is a bit unreliable but a new company is slowly taking over the operations and we hope the system will improve greatly soon.
GETTING AROUND VIEQUES
Thou Vieques is a small island (20m X 5m) she is spread out and it is highly recommended that you have some form of transportation other than publicos (collective taxi vans) or the on-call taxi service. When the island is busy so are the drivers and wait times can be up to an hour.
There are several car rental companies on island and SoliMar offers "island cars" for our guest. other transportation options include golf carts, side by sides and scooters. Which ever you choose, make reservations EARLY as all forms book out fast, especially during peak times on the island. Following are some companies to contact
- SoliMar Guest Studios (island cars and generally 1/2 the cost of the others)
- Vieques Car Rental (jeeps, cars, golf carts)
- Maritza's Car Rental (Jeeps & cars)
- Fun Brothers (scooters & side by sides)
- ScooterS for Rent (scooters & side by sides)
- UVT Rental (golf carts)
- Island Jeep Rental (Jeeps)
- Cogui Car Rental (Jeeps & cars)
- Avis Car Rental (mainly Jeeps)
We can't stress enough to reserve your transportation EARLY!!! While most car rental companies offer Jeeps it is not necessary to have a 4x4 on Vieques and they are the most expensive to rent.
- Yes, it is safe to drink the tap water